Something new...


Voyage to the Mystic Jungles of Guyana Reid, Soayna, Darshen return from Guyana jungle coast to Georgetown North Carolina to support his father -- contact This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


To view, inquire and purchase original Reid Stowe art go to his art website


Reid Stowe returned to Terra Firma on Thur June 17 2010 - 1152 days at sea

Video: NYTimes - Reuters - NYHarbor Flotilla - Into the Void  - Sailin Away - More

Articles: NYTimes - GuardianUK - CNN - NYDailyNews - AP/Yahoo - BBC - HuffingtonPost - NBCNY

New York Magazine; New Yorker MagazineCruising World Magazine; NYC to Bermuda

Stocking Up On Firewood
Saturday, 12 February 2011




It is freezing cold on the winter river in New York! As long as we have wood for our fireplace we are okay. We have been fairly conservative with the size of the fires we burn, often with only one log smoldering away on top of a bed of coals. That is just enough heat to keep us warm if we stay near the fire and wear an appropriate assortment of winter gear, like long johns and mitten caps. This morning all of the windows inside had a thick layer of ice that formed beautiful designs. By the afternoon, it melts away, runs down the walls, and drips onto the floors. We often wipe around with old towels then dry the towels by the fire. There are a few drips and we put towels under them too. Though we conserve wood, we have the fire going from 7:30 in the morning to 12:00 at night, week after week for the last month. That uses up a lot of wood.


We have gotten wood from several sources, but our latest cord of wood was brought to us by a friend who went upstate where it is much cheaper. A cord of wood is a pile four by four by eight feet. A cord of wood in the city is almost four times as expensive and way more if bought in small plastic wrapped bundles. Speaking of plastic, I saved all the heavy plastic bags from the voyage and washed them in big buckets with detergent when we did our giant laundry in the summer. Then we hung them out to dry. We are still using them to take out our garbage and have not bought any plastic bags since I got back over six months ago. I checked into the sources of our wood and it is all wood that fell down or had to be cleared out of yards. So we are happy to burn it without worrying about deforestation. Our photo today shows a cord of wood thrown on the deck. It’s a good thing we have a work boat because heating a boat for a long winter is rough. We do love our wood fire and the cozy atmosphere it creates in our cargo hold.

Adventure Lifestyle Tips: Winter Living on the Water
Wednesday, 26 January 2011


We live year round on our schooner and really enjoy it. Living on the water in the winter is beautiful and bracing, but it certainly takes a lot of preparation to make it comfortable. When I designed and built the schooner, I had in mind to live onboard in all conditions. Two key components are insulation and heating.

We insulated the whole interior of the boat with Styrofoam insulation panels, then built woodwork over it. This is important for hot or cold weather. We installed a wood burning fireplace in the pilothouse of the schooner before we even launched her and we’ve always had one. I didn’t get the idea to install a Benjamin Franklin type wood burning fireplace in the cargo hold until someone offered me one. At first, I said “No it’s too big.” But as I realized we had a long NYC winter ahead of us, I started thinking about how to install it.  Once we lowered the fireplace down the cargo hatch, we started jockeying it around and found a great spot that allowed the eight-inch chimney to go straight up through the deck next to the foremast without it being in the way when we sailed. 

Winter living on a sailboat is a little more labor intensive than living on land, but either way a big load of wood needs to be stored and ready for those days of isolation brought on by snow blizzards. It roughs the schooner up a bit to load piles of wood on the deck and in the interior. Chips, ashes, and soot are a little messy, but nothing beats the cozy atmosphere and heat of an open fireplace close down to the floor where everybody can cuddle up around it in the late evening as the fire burns out for the night.

We always make sure the fire is almost out before we head to the unheated stern of the schooner where our bunk is. It gets to be freezing in the aft of the schooner, but the trick is to always wear sweaters and a mitten cap until the moment before jumping into bed.

 We have a lot more to say about adventure lifestyle living in the winter, but on this subject our closing motto is “Never get cold.”


Soanya’s View:

I always amaze myself when I look back see that I’ve managed to do something I never considered doing a few years ago, for instance, living on a boat in freezing temperatures. But here I am relatively comfortable like its no big deal. Sure when I wake up in the morning and stick any limb out of the covers its darn cold unless I stick that limb out covered in my usual three warm layers of clothes and the absolutely necessary mitten cap. However, with one warm place to go to on the boat, it makes everything bearable. We spend most of our time by the fireplace in the cargo hold, though we do have to go to the galley in the stern to prepare our meals and we wash our dishes with rubber gloves because we don’t have hot water. If we really needed some warm water, we just heat it on our two-burner propane cooking stove. On those below average temperature record days, which thankfully are rare enough, I have had the interesting experience of chopping carrots and watching the ice chip off, or having to melt the olive oil before cooking with it, or turning on the faucet and nothing comes out because the pipe has frozen or seeing last night’s dishes didn’t completely dry and the droplets on the plates have hardened into little clear blobs. However, I just don’t spend as much time in the galley, and once things are going on the stove it’s all okay.

Darshen doesn’t seem to notice the cold much. He wears at least three layers with a hoodie and a mitten cap. He never says no to going outside either, except when he gets there and sometimes it’s a little too windy for him. Mostly, he follows Daddy around wanting to be helpful and make paintings too. When its time for bed, he cheerfully climbs underneath his four blankets cozy with his stuffed animals and after a story or two he falls asleep. We make sure his mitten cap stays on when he sleeps and now it’s not a question of whether to wear a hat, but which hat does he want to put on. We find ways of living with the cold without being cold and the days go by.

Happy New Year!
Tuesday, 18 January 2011



New Year 2011

Onboard the schooner Anne, Soanya, Darshen, and I survived the big snow blizzard that came at the end of the year. We had intrepid friends over for dinner the night that it hit and when dinner was over, I walked them onshore and the snow was already collecting in drifts up to three feet. It was a good thing that they didn’t drive a car and only had to walk a few blocks to the subway. We battened down our hatches tightly, stoked our fire, and let the wind blow and the snow fall. By morning our hatch was so heavy with snow that I could hardly lift it. Darshen and I geared up in all our snow gear and brought our snow shovels outside to clear a path from the hatch to the side of the schooner where we step off.  DArshen tried shoveling with his tiny shovel, but the cold snowy wind was too much for him. After two minutes outside he went in. I gave up when the snow kept falling where I was digging. We stayed inside all day by the warm fire. Luckily, we are stocked up with wood and coal, cooking fuel, and we still have plenty of good food left over from the voyage. We are quite familiar with being isolated in nature.

We have had no major breakthroughs and we are still working to get our story out. So we have no plans at the moment for our next mission. Thanks a million everybody for sticking with us and we will keep you posted on what happens with us.



Soanya’s View:

The year 2010 was characterized by one major event for those involved with the longest sea voyage in history. That event was the successful return to civilization by a man who had been away from land for over three years. The onshore team coordinated return logistics for the first half of the year with the excitement and buzz building up to the momentous day of June 17, 2010 when Reid would sail in and be recognized for his amazing seamanship, artistry, and hardiness. Indeed, Reid did receive some attention and the press was especially enamored of the idea that he would meet his two year old son for the first time. But this story is about so much more.

After Reid’s return, things slowed down. His biggest adjustment might have been that his expectations (and those of his fans) of what would follow his first step on land were nowhere near what actually happened. Much to everyone’s surprise and mystification, the book deal that should have been a no-brainer high adventure drama was struggling find a supportive publisher. Or maybe these things just take a bit of time.

Besides trying to get the story published, the last half of the year has been characterized by Reid growing into fatherhood, which he has been doing a great job of so far, and by his continuing to create art. Life here on the boat is similar to the way it was before he and I departed back in 2007, except the cargo hold is back to being a salon rather than stacked chest high with triple wrapped boxes, and the pressure is no longer on to face danger and eternity, though it is on to make the most out of this endeavor so that we have the freedom to plan new adventures.

I have been on a continuous, intense path of self-discovery, that does not always directly relate to the voyage and so my comments may have been sparse lately, but almost every week I am presented with exciting lessons that reform my perspective on the world. That is a conversation for another blog and perhaps for another time and place. However, I hope the New Year brings greater awareness to everyone and a best selling book for us!


The Sacred Creations of High Performance Action and Spirituality
Thursday, 09 December 2010

[Excerpt from the log of the 1000 Days Non-Stop at Sea voyage, Day 1,121]

The art I create is the result of high performance physical action and at the same time it is a spiritual practice that empowers that action and myself to higher sublime heights.  Much of what I say about my art and even the look of it may resemble many other artists and their work in the age of modernism and contemporary art.  The words I use to describe my art are not new, but my actions are.  My work is rooted more in the creations of cavemen and tribal artists because I believe art is needed to help us carry out our sacred actions in order to survive in the world.  The living energy of the age old quests of man is part of what has helped me surpass modern man's physical achievements.  Today I have been at sea for 1,121 days without stopping, an achievement no one has come close to accomplishing.  This is what sets me apart from contemporary artists.  I am a man who has been carrying out an evolved physical action with the aid of artistic creations.


I have managed to live alone on the high seas for longer than any man in history and I rise to contemplate timeless and eternal realities.  The quality and nature of this life at sea invites absorption and meditation lending unlimited scope to the imagination.  When the imagination moves to deep places, the divine is revealed.  Here on the ocean, art assists the illumination of sacred images and high ideals within me.  Attempting the longest sea voyage in history has been an unprecedented opportunity for creativity.  In fact, it forced me to be more creative if I wanted to survive and go beyond survival to thriving. And expressing the glory of the human spirit.  Expressing the glory of the human spirit may sound like a phrase out of medieval times, but I have been obsessed with using this type of art to surpass modern man's physical accomplishments.

Perhaps contemporary art does this, but I have rarely seen it.  Modern artists, critics, and philosophers may speak of the quest of the spirit and nourishing our souls through extreme action in a very educated sophisticated way, but I have not spotted enough discussion of it.  I am in the wild.  I look back and see myself as a youth on the deck of my catamaran on the Amazon River naked except for a little Indian flap front and back squatting next to a canoe fragment I was carving.  I have lived in New York City, studied art history and put on a suit and tie to investigate high society art auctions and openings, but I have spent the better part of my life in the wild.

Who am I to say that contemporary art and artists have mostly lost the knowledge of art's unseen sacred origin and its original purpose to empower people with a vision of their higher being?


The realization that we have a place in the endless expanses of the universe gives meaning to our lives and our infinite possibilities.  I don't understand cleverness, cliquishness, grants, fashion, fads, salesmanship, media concerns, cynicism, and most "isms."  I think the real meaning of inspired artistic expression comes from the dimension of ceaseless light and eternal energy. 

I strive to create original and significant art and would like to be accepted by those I don't understand who make a living off of their criticism and writings.  I have always been an artist involved in action and the immediate necessity of responding to actual experience rather than the forms, designs and conformity called for by the art world.

For me experience is the prime source of inspiration and creation.  I find this by living at sea in a state of oneness with humanity, nature and the universe.  By creating art that helped me survive on the sea, what I learned has become applicable to the soul of man and earth. My greatest concern now is how I can tend the soul of my fellow man and create most efficiently and artfully.  Care of the soul is the core of the art of my everyday life.  Such care is a sacred art and craft of life carried out in the our modern times. 

Sacred art helps to focus my attention on spirituality.  Each creation is a moment of transition from the material world to the eternal spiritual world.  Art can be deeply religious for me. Having the power of solace, redemption and union with the divine.  With consistent unique technique of ritual, urgency, play, and passion I create a sacred space that expands ever outwards.  I nourish my soul and the spiritual aspirations of mankind.  I want to illuminate the hidden with my art and reflect love and wonder into other minds and hearts.

Through my expeditions and creations I hope to help people glimpse the nature of spirituality.  I work to imagine you seeing me looking and talking to you from out of my paintings.  We should all have sacred images around us that speak to us and remind us of the infinite and eternal qualities of the universe.  It doesn't have to be a graphic description of the universe and everything in it.  Abstract paintings can show us a small parts of the purity and infinite meaning of the upward path.  Then we are triggered to expand outwards through the expression.


My art shows me my place in the universe and I become a mediator between heaven and earth. The experience of making and viewing art is as mysterious and deep as the oceans they are created on.  They come from the sea and they belong to the sea.  My art creations include my satellite verified courses across the sea.  The sea and I create together and both become larger as the distinctions between us blur.  The whole ocean that circles the globe becomes my giant canvas for creating in bold gestures the inexhaustible glory of humanity in oneness with the divine.


Varnishing the Wave God
Thursday, 02 December 2010



Darshen and I are busy at work varnishing the “Wave God.”  I salvaged this chunk of tropical hardwood on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean after a hurricane blew it down many years ago.  Carving this piece of wood was a powerful experience in which I called the Gods to protect me.  I swear I have heard it talking to me in a clear voice.

Once when I was going through a moment of anxiety, it said, “I’ll take care of you.”  It has had a wild life.  Living on the schooner for many years with the winds of the world blowing through its eyes, mouth, hair and hands.  The schooner carried it in the rigging until the Roaring 40's roared and on a calm day I dropped it onto the deck. Throughout the voyage as I walked the deck I also walked the full length of its face.  Feeling its wood beneath my bare feet; I always paid my respects.  After many years out in the sun the wood grayed and cracked and because the grain in the wood curves so wildly the cracks grew bigger.  Though we are in port now we still need to be guided and protected more than ever.  So he will remain on duty through the winter.  I decided to refinish the “Wave God” to stabilize him so he doesn’t weather and crack further.  We soaked him in epoxy and varnish and now he shines lustrously in the cool fall sun.

Darshen doesn’t do much playing with toys.  He is too busy helping his Daddy work and I take the time to sit with him and teach him.  Once a wind storm blew a tarp loose that was covering some paintings.  The rope tie downs were snapping in the wind.  Darshen and I smothered the flailing tarp and I gave him a rope to pull on.  He was a sight to see as he got a fierce look on his face and pulled as hard as he could. It looks like he really enjoys being a sailor even though he is still wearing diapers.



Motor Room Dream
Tuesday, 02 November 2010


After an extraordinary life at sea we are adjusting to a more normal life with our lines looped on the dock. There are still many more magical synchronicities that bring wonder to our lives.

Last night I dreamed I was down in the motor room and the shaft came unbolted from the motor.  I began to look for the bolts in the bilge below the motor when I woke up from my dream. Upon awakening, I resolved that one of my chores for that day would be to go into the motor room and check those bolts. I brought my rusty but trusty wrenches down to the back of the motor with my traveling work light and squatted into a comfortable position. Of course, Darshen insists on joining in with whatever Daddy is doing, so I brought my little helper with me. We fit the wrench over the shaft coupling bolt. Sure enough it was loose. Darshen and I called out to Mommy to tell her about the amazing job we were doing.  Most of the bolts were tight on the coupling but happily I was warned by my subconscious to tend to my loose nuts. I decided to go one step further and check all the nuts all over the motor. They were all tight. I decided to get out my screw driver and tighten the hose clamps around the motor, as well as the stainless wire I lash them with to make sure the hoses don’t slip off. We wipe with rags around the motor room to keep it clean and dry. Then we carry on with similar jobs around the schooner before we dress up warm and go tricycle riding up on the dock.


The Catamaran Tantra
Tuesday, 02 November 2010


This very atmospheric old photo was sent to me by a French couple who took it from their sailboat. In 1974, I was with them on their sailboat on the Amazon River when we were captured by pirates. We were tied up for three nights and two days while the pirates stripped the boat and argued amongst themselves. They let us live and left us tied up on the floor. We untied ourselves and sailed out of the Amazon to Martinique. My little catamaran TANTRA was left anchored alone in the pirate’s den.

Everyone is aware of the danger of pirates today. Around ten years ago, the world’s most famous sailor, Sir Peter Blake, took over leadership of the Cousteau Society and was murdered by pirates on the Amazon River close to where I was captured many years before. It is dangerous to sail to the wild places of the world, even today.

Four months after my pirate experience at the age of 22, I went back to the Amazon and stole my catamaran out of the pirate’s den. I sailed up to Martinique where I rejoined my French sailing friends. That was when they took this photo of me on my catamaran. Imagine sailing to four continents on this 1,400 pound, 27 ft boat navigating with an old brass sextant and having no motor, no electricity, no radio, or life raft. Those were the days! Those years of sailing set the stage for me to conceive of accomplishing the longest sea voyage in history.


Laundry Day
Sunday, 03 October 2010

Lot's of laundry hung on the boat 

Ahoy Friends!

Soanya and I are adapting to life on the dock and entertaining our energetic, enthusiastic son, Darshen.  Most of my life was a preparation for living at sea.  That involved cutting myself off from all things on the shore.  Now that I am back I am trying to figure out how to fit in and be a proper citizen.  Many things everyone takes for granted are unfamiliar to me, but I truly want to learn and keep up with the times.  Soanya and friends are guiding me through the necessary steps.  I am working on my book proposal with my coauthor and feel positive about that.  We think the book will drive many factors that will help our lives on shore and spread our multifaceted message of love.  On the home front, we are busy cleaning up the "Mighty Schooner" so that she is a cozy home and a welcome abode for guests.  That's a big job and Darshen is eagerly in the middle of the action helping out.  We are still cleaning sleeping bags, blankets and all our gear.  Darshen helps by jumping up and down in big buckets of laundry and passing our tools to us while we are working.

Soanya's View:

When Reid got back, he knew he would have a huge job ahead to get the schooner back into shape.  The laundry alone was an enormous task.  Imagine three years worth of clothes, sheets, comforters, towels, blankets, cushion covers, sleeping bags, etc. that need to be laundered. Even though we wrapped everything including our clothes in double plastic bags after three years in a damp, salty environment we found they still smelled moldy and made me sneeze even though they looked clean.  I'm sure they would have stayed fresh after a six month period but years at a time was a bit much.  Reid thought about sending everything off to an industrial launderer but they specialize in table cloths and were not set up to wash all different kinds of fabrics at once.  The hundreds of pounds of laundry would have been very expensive to do in small amounts at a conventional laundromat not to mention the logistics of transporting big bags to and from there.  So Reid did what has always worked in the past.  He found a way to do it himself.

Reid took out two big plastic storage containers, filled them with water from a hose, dumped some clothes in along with some detergent and stomped on them for while.  He threw it out on deck, refilled the tubs to rinse them four or five times and when the water ran clean of suds and dirt, tossed them onto the deck.  Darshen had fun playing with the hose, getting wet and jumping on the clothes.  Reid hung the clothes on lines around the boat on a hot August day and before dark they were dry and smelled great. 

It took several days to get through all the laundry and as we clean out various lockers we keep finding more.  But, I must admit, this system works great for mass washing.  Certainly for smaller loads and getting stains out you'd want to wash by hand a little more thoroughly.  All in all it got the job done at our convenience and within our means.  Boat cleaning continues and winter prep begins in the next days.

Reid and Soanya

[Ed.  Starting with this post Reid & Soanya are also posting on The Huffington Post.  Once I get the link sorted out I'll add it here.]

Sept 2010 Press
Saturday, 25 September 2010

The Man who Fell to Shore
NY Magazine – 9/19/2010
...while the world economy crashed, and Barack Obama ran for and won the U.S. presidency, and Spitzer resigned, and Sully landed, and Jon and Kate split, and Haiti crumbled, and Avatar opened, and Apple unveiled the iPad to the waiting world, Reid Stowe floated alone.

Reid Stowe Speaks About His 1,152-Day Odyssey At Sea
Huffington Post – 9/23/2010
...Reid Stowe should be a household name... The last guy that did this got his boat put in a French museum; the guy before him got knighted by the Queen of England...

Ripley's Believe It or Not!

Friday, 16 July 2010

Hi Everybody!

Thanks for checking in.  As you might have guessed, I’ve been quite busy since I returned to land.  The love voyage returned a lot of love and that made the transition from the sea to the earth a smooth one.  So many family and friends greeted me and shared our story of love with the world.  I was so happy to see that America Online titled their story “Man Credits 'Love' in Record 3-Year Trip at Sea.”  In a world obsessed by bad news and hard facts, it took a lot of courage for them to put that into mainstream media.  Many other papers and media picked up the story and spread the story.

What a joy it was to come back to Soanya and our new son Darshen, my daughter Viva, her husband, and my new granddaughter and 30 other family members.  I dedicated the voyage to Mom and Dad, who are in their eighties, and who impressed everyone with their ability to party four days in a row.  Mom took notes and addresses and now communicates with so many new friends.

We have no idea what’s next, but there are certainly more adventures ahead.  Though I was amazed by the experience of being alone for so long on the sea, I am sure that my next voyage will be with Soanya and Darshen and other family and friends.  I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful experience and to have succeeded beyond my wildest expectations.  My main focus is to share the message of how love in all its forms helped me to succeed with the voyage.

We have had a steady stream of visitors and friends “camping out” with us to help with the schooner and to go forward.  We still need some guys and gals to live aboard to help out.  Anyone who wants to help and spend time with us on the “Mighty Schooner Anne” please email us at the website and tell us about yourself.

In the next few weeks, I’ll share more about what life is like coming back to the land.  I’ll also go into some detail about boat systems, speaking engagements and other opportunities.



<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>

Results 85 - 98 of 800